Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Green evangelical

This interview with environmentalist and leader of the National Association of Evangelicals in the USA is great reading. Very refreshing to find a Christian in the public eye who knows how to talk openly with the media.

Some choice snippets:

"Dominion does not mean domination. It implies responsibility -- to cultivate and care for the earth, not to sully it with bad environmental practices."

"There are still plenty who wonder, does advocating this agenda mean we have to become liberal weirdos? And I say to them, certainly not. It's in the scripture. Read the Bible."

"Q: My understanding is that you publicly rejected an offer by the leaders of the Sierra Club and the National Wildlife Federation to join forces.

A: I said, 'Not for now.' Look, there are those in my community who are concerned that environmentalists are advocates of population control, of big-government solutions, or New Age religion, and have apocalyptic tendencies. In the latter case, there's some irony in my opinion. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

I am trying to reason with my community that we've earned our spurs in co-belligerency -- collaborating with groups we wouldn't otherwise work with, in the name of the common good. I say, if we've worked with Free Tibet on religious freedom, the Congressional Black Caucus on slavery, Gloria Steinem and feminists on rape, and the gay and lesbian lobby on AIDS, why can't we work with environmentalists?"

Like the pot calling the kettle black. I got a laugh out of that one!

It's great to hear a Christian talk about the environment. All I've really heard on the issue is from Radio Rhema, where Bob McCroskie is convinced the Kyoto Protocol is a fraud. It very well may be, but what about the other environmental issues?

No comments: