Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Shut up, James!

19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1:19-20 NIV
It's not often a Bible verse is so perfectly appropriate. Damn!

My words got me in trouble with someone, because they misunderstood what I said. Being misunderstood makes me mad. Wham, wham, wham! I've done the opposite of what this verse says. Yarr.

Starting to feel a bit better after a very brief walk outside (to the letterbox and back - very brief!) but at the time I felt an overwhelming desire to justify myself, and show the other party how unreasonable they was bein'.

Makes me wonder how the monks of old used to keep their vows of silence without going crazy. Or maybe they did go crazy. But I think they took out their frustration by gardening and making wine. The grapes didn't complain.

But me, I live in a world of words. My job is words. Social interaction is words. Even when I look at a photography book, I end up reading the captions.

Thank God for music - the instrumental type - and also for His grace that keeps me on an even keel, even when I'm fit to keel over.

I love it when a Bible verse makes you want to tell it to shut up, because it means the Word hit its mark in me. It's meant to hurt - and bring about change.

Thanks God, for being so amazingly patient and also amazingly passionate about righteousness at the same time. Passionately patient. That's our Father.

1 comment:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Simon, your words have brought more good to the world than bad, I promise you that.

Keep it up -- please!